Ordinary maintenance interventions are those that concern the repair, renovation and replacement of building finishes and those necessary to integrate or maintain existing technological systems, even with the use of different materials, provided that the aforementioned materials are compatible with the municipal rules and regulations in force (color plan).
A characteristic of ordinary maintenance is the maintenance of the finishing elements and technological systems, through substantial repairs to the existing ones.
The following are considered as ordinary maintenance works:
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of contents
- A) External finishes
- B) Interior finishes
- C) Internal masonry works
- D) Sanitary systems and appliances
- E) Technological systems
- F) Works in industrial, craft, commercial and agricultural buildings
- How to carry out ordinary maintenance works?
A) External finishes
Works of repair, renovation and replacement of the external finishes of the buildings as long as their original characteristics are preserved, including:
- restoration of the painting, plasters and facades coverings with materials having the same characteristics and colors as the pre-existing ones;
- cleaning of the facades;
- repair and replacement of fixtures, doors and windows, doors, gates, shutters and shop windows (or entrance doors) of shops (possibly also using different materials), without altering their characteristics such as shape, colors, design and dimensions of the openable and transparent parts;
- recourse and partial replacement of the roof covering and the secondary roof frame, without any modification of the shape, slope, and characteristics of the roof;
- repair and replacement of gutters, downspouts and chimneys, even with different materials;
- repair of balconies, terraces and related railings or parapets;
- installation of gratings limited to the window compartment.
- application of awnings and mosquito nets;
- refurbishment of the external paving of courtyards, patios and shafts;
- repair of fences.
B) Internal finishes
Works of repair, renovation and replacement of interior finishes of buildings, including:
- plasters, coatings and painting;
- windows and doors, even with the insertion of double glazing.
C) Internal masonry works
Works of renewal and replacement of the internal scores, including:
- opening and closing of doorways, on non-load-bearing walls within the same building unit;
- small masonry works such as the creation of niches or walls within the same building unit;
- moving or making fixed furniture in compliance with the above relationships.
D) Sanitary systems and appliances
Repair and replacement of sanitary appliances and plant repairs.
E) Technological plants
Works necessary to maintain efficiency and adapt existing technological systems to normal operating needs.
F) Works in industrial, craft, commercial and agricultural buildings
Repair, replacement and adaptation of plants and related networks. These interventions must not involve changes to the premises, openings in the facades, modification or construction of technical volumes, construction of a new gross floor area.
- Modest works for the crossing of internal roads with pipes.
- Construction of bases or frames for supporting or installing outdoor equipment. These must be modest. The aim is to improve existing systems, as long as they do not involve the construction of a new gross surface area.
How to carry out ordinary maintenance works?
The execution of the works takes place under the personal responsibility of the owner or whoever has the right to perform them, both as regards the classification of the works themselves as ordinary maintenance, and as regards compliance with the provisions of the building regulations as well as the provisions that regulate the matter under specific profiles such as hygiene, health, fire prevention and safety.
For the restoration of the painting, plasters, coatings and architectural and decorative elements, which affect parts of the building visible from public spaces, written communication must be given to the Municipality before their execution, with a description of the works to be to perform, the materials to be used and the colors.
If ordinary maintenance works are foreseen in the context of another type of intervention, they follow the authorization procedures of the main intervention which they accompany.